Lancia Motor Club logo
    WelcomeAbout the LMCClub NewsJoin the ClubServicesFreeModel Guide
 Club News
 Calendar

The Nardi Blue Rays
Perhaps the most fantastic creation of Enrico Nardi, Blue Ray No. 1 (Raggio Azzurro) was completed in September of 1955. It was introduced to the world at the Turin Auto Show, and subsequently was shown at the Paris and New York Auto shows.

The Blue Ray is built on a tubular steel Pan American road racing chassis constructed by Nardi. Power is provided by a Lancia Aurelia B20 engine with Nardi updates including Nardi camshaft, pistons, exhaust manifolds, alloy radiator header, cast alloy Nardi air scoop, and intake manifold to accommodate dual double throat Weber 40DCZS carburettors. The engine is a 2.5 litre 60 degree V-6 with bore/stroke of 78mm x 85.5 mm producing a maximum of 190 BHP at 5,500 RPM, said to be capable of propelling the car to 140 MPH. The car is equipped with a Nardi floor mounted gear change and a four speed Aurelia B20 transaxle with inboard drum brakes. The car has vertical pillar independent front suspension, and rear suspension in the form of a de Dion layout with the axle tube supported on conventional half-elliptic leaf springs and located laterally by a Panhard rod. The 400 mm wheels were specially commissioned from Borrani and are 68 spoke construction with knockoff hubs.

The coachwork was designed by Michelotti, and constructed by Vignale. All of the coachwork with the exception of the roof frame is of alloy, including the floors and inner fenders. The roof is of blue Perspex™ and is equipped with a grilled air scoop and internal directional vents. The side windows are of blue Perspex™  and slide upwards towards the centre of the roof to open. The rear window is also of blue Perspex™.

Blue Ray 1

Blue Ray 1 has belonged to Jim Simpson for 15 years. The car was restored in 1989, and was honoured at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Élégance in 1989 and 1990. It also received honours and was awarded a trophy at the Virginia Beach Concours d’Élégance in 1991.

The Blue Ray No. 2 (Raggio Azzurro V.2) was created in 1958 by Enrico Nardi. The car debuted at the Turin Motor Show in 1958 and later at the New York Motor Show.

Blue Ray No. 2 is constructed on a heavily modified 4th Series Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider chassis. The coachwork was designed by Michelotti, and constructed in steel by Vignale. The car is fitted with a blue Perspex™ roof which slides in tracks to provide ventilation to the cabin. Power is provided by a Lancia Aurelia B20 engine with Nardi updates including camshaft, cast alloy air scoop, and intake manifold accommodating a double throat Weber 40DCZ5 carburettor. The engine is a 2.5 liter 60 degree V-6 with bore/stroke of 78mm x 85.5mm producing approximately 140 horsepower. The car is equipped with a Nardi floor mounted gear change, and rear mounted 4-speed Aurelia B20 transaxle with inboard drum brakes. The car has vertical pillar independent front suspension and rear suspension in the form of a de Dion layout with the axle tube supported on conventional half-elliptic leaf springs and located laterally by a Panhard rod. The 400 mm. wheels for this car were specially commissioned from Borrani and are of 68 spoke construction with knockoff hubs. These special wire wheels were subsequently offered as an option for the Aurelia Spiders.

Blue Ray 2

Blue Ray No. 2 has belonged to Jim Simpson for 16 years. The car was totally restored in 1990, and was shown at the 1990 Pebble Beach Concours d’Élégance, and received honours at the 1991 Virginia Beach Concours d’Élégance. The 1990 Pebble Beach Concours marked the first time that both Blue Rays had been displayed in public.

 

 

 

 

 

| Welcome | About the LMC | Club News | Join the Club | Services | Free | Model Guide |